Saturday, January 31, 2015

Sweet Sixteen

It's hard to believe, but my "little" nephew, the boy who made me an aunt for the first time, is turning 16 next week.  I'll be missing out on he festivities since we don't live close so I wanted to make his card extra special.  This young man is by no means "little" anymore either.  In fact, because he's so big I have gotten in the habit of calling him Uncle Luke in front of my kids.  He's almost like a big little brother and not a nephew.  He's over 6' tall but his heart is big too. He's such a sweet, thoughtful young man - always putting others first, and he's quite the athlete.  I spent my late teen years babysitting him and watching him crush a whiffle ball at the age of 4 and now he's a multi-sport athlete.  I know he will go far in life. We love you Luke!  


Here is his card.  The only thing not current is the car - it's from the stamp set Need for Speed and I honestly wish I knew Stampin' Up!'s logic behind retiring it.  It's such a great masculine set.  Will. Not. Sell. It. :) even my mom used her set to make Luke's card and it's a winner too!


Different DSPs, stamps, bunches, dies... Yeah, you should see the aftermath of getting all of it out.  There's lots of texture, color & dimension to this card.  I hope I put enough postage on the envelope!  Hehe :P
I love the new crushed curry ribbon in the Occasions Catalog too! It was a last minute decision to add it and I love it!


The car I shaded with Smoky Slate Blendabilties.  This is a perfect stamp set to use with these markers. 

(Please don't be mad at me for teasing you with a great set you can no longer order.) :(


The 16 is from the Skinny Mini Alphabet - embossed in Crushed Curry embossing powder.  I love embossing on vellum!  Such a neat look I think!  You just have to be conscious of how you adhere it to your card or you will see the tape/glue/dimensional.  I snuck a skinny piece of a dimensional behind the 6.

So there you have it :) I hope you are inspired.  Dust off some of those oldies but goodies every now and then.  There are many great sets, current and retired!

Happy stamping and happy sweet sixteen Luke! We love ya!

- Holly





6 comments:

  1. great colors - i am sure your "Uncle Luke" will love it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. and thanks for actually reading the post :) I used to just look at the pictures, but thought I should start reading what people take time to type <3

      Delete
  2. What a great card Holly! I'm sure Luke will absolutely LOVE it!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hey Holly! Thanks for linking up with the Fancy Friday challenge! Your card is amazing! Luke is one lucky guy to have such an awesome crafty aunt!

    ReplyDelete